Numerous easter eggs to various books, movies and other games are one of the staples of Summertime Saga. These are instances where something or someone from the real world is referenced in the game itself.
Many characters are drawn from real or fictional people. The game’s community is the main source of inspiration.
- Tatiana Badiu : Tatiana is based on the streamer PureRuby87, with her permission. The character has been replaced by Lily.
- Roxanne Clifford : Roxanne Clifford, the indie pop band singer, is the inspiration behind the character of Veronica.
- Jay and Silent Bob : Two anonymous who appear in the background of the mall front yard.
- Samantha Manson : The user MikeOdette chose a cartoon character for the role of Odette, a character that has been extensively reworked to become a “big titties goth”.
- Ricardo Milos : This celebrity was selected by AlCoholic to be Ricky, the landscaper character working at the Rump estate.
- Gordon Ramsay : He gets a position in the Rump estate as master chef.
- Keanu Reeves : The actor became the new priest of Summerville after Nanashi774 had a crush on him during a raffle.
- Bob Ross : The art teacher, Ms. Ross, looks like the TV presenter, art instructor and painter. Who is famous for his show The Joy of Painting, his very laid back and positive attitude.
- Roz : The lovely desk receptionist in the hospital is a human adaptation of Roz from the Pixar movie, Monsters, Inc.
- Donald Trump : At the suggestion of the players, the mayor of the city was drawn like the President of the United States.
- Reginald VelJohnson : Earl ‒ This user chosen character is based on this actor who is best known for playing policeman characters such as on the sitcom Family Matters.
From the game team
- CaptainSploosh : Admiral Sploosh is based on the current writer of the game.
- CreamyCookie : Pussywillow is the main character’s lovely pet, and a dedication to the human resources manager.
- Dogeek : The former coder for Kompas Productions gave his name to Clyde’s pet.
- Sam9 : The developer in charge of servers and websites appears in the game under the same name as a subscriber of Jenny’s camshows particularly fond of butt action.
- Amens : Captain Terry
- Cedric : Cedric
- Emerald : A previous patient from the hospital.
- KassyKage : Kassy
- Konterina : Konterina. She is an active member of the streaming chat whom suddenly disappeared for a long time. Chat and DarkCookie wondered if she would return and a missing person poster was added to the police station. She did come back. Konterina is also known for greeting everyone in chat very quickly, like a bot. So the robot in Ms. Otika’s office was named after her. Beep Boop!
- Micoe : Micoe
- Morbooze : Unnamed character sitting in the camping chair during the party in Eve’s route.
- NhKPaNdA : The graffiti “Free the pandas” found in the assembly hall during Ms. Dewitt’s route is a reminder of a team member.
- Noce : Jaing
- Pilly : Pilly. This user made an agreement: he would stop smoking if his character was in the game. DarkCookie did the job. Your turn Pilly!
- prizedhog : Karl (February 2019 raffle)
- Purt : Josephine
- RavenClaw262 : Anna
- rubAduckee : Justin (February 2019 raffle)
- SatUrnPrincess : Nadya
- TheTittyShit : Titty
- Tuuku : Tuuku
- ZanaSenpai : Mr. Bubbles
One way to show the streamer’s appreciation for his fans is to insert their names into the game:
- Alex76 : Graffiti on the outside wall of the tattoo parlor.
- DecentWanker : Graffiti on the front wall of the tattoo parlor, and on the fridge of the beachhouse.
- Eevee : Writting inside the tatto parlor garage.
- jabzap : Graffiti on the outside wall of the tattoo parlor.
- Livingston69 : Scratch on the wall in Eve’s bedroom.
- Purt : Graffiti on the outside wall of the tattoo parlor.
- Skyear : Graffiti on the outside wall of the tattoo parlor.
- Skynetto : Painting on the police station wall.
- Theconcanadian : Moose head in the attic place.
- TurbonizeR : Sticker glued on a cabinet in the dealership mechanical workshop.
- Tuuku : Writting inside Dexter’s locker.
Books and magazines
Book and magazine titles are often used as jokes in Summertime Saga:
- Fifty Shades of Grey : The book 50 Shades of Green, found inside Erik’s locker, is a parody of the erotic book.
- Kama Sutra : The library book Yoga Kamasutra uses the title of the ancient Indian text on sexuality, eroticism and emotional fulfillment in life.
- Necronomicon : The grimoire appearing in stories by the horror writer H. P. Lovecraft and his followers. But also in Principal Smith’s cabinet!
- Sports Illustrated : Orcettes Illustrated, still in Erik’s locker, evokes the sport magazine.
Other references available as fictional books:
- Basic renpy coding vol 22 : Ren’Py is the software engine used to make the game.
- Oedipuss : The book is hidden under Erik’s bed. The myth of Oedipus exists and has given its name to the “Oedipus Complex”, itself defined as a male child’s unconscious desire for the exclusive love of his mother. This is related to the close relationship between Erik and his landlady.
- Secret VIP Stream… truth or myth? : Another mention about this stream is on the info board at the police station. Legend has it that there is a VIP stream where DarkCookie streams spoiler content only wearing a horse head.
- Soon™ : It’s a direct answer to the players who always ask when the next update will be released.
Posters and paintings
- Arnold Schwarzenegger’s poster : It’s located at Coach Bridget’s office on the left side of the back wall, reproducing the iconic picture of the actor holding a glass of cognac.
- Albert Einstein’s poster : In Ms. Otika’s office, on the back wall hangs the famous picture of Albert Einstein sticking his tongue out.
- Human Evolution poster : Found in the science teacher’s office on the right side, it shows how man evolved from apes, with DarkCookie’s interpretation of how our species might evolve in the future.
- Map of Europe : In the French classroom is displayed the mostly accurate map of “Yurup”.
- The Great Wave off Kanagawa : The painting in the bedroom of the beachhouse is a copy of Hokusai’s artwork.
Games and video games
When players talk to players, it has to be about games!
- Dungeons & Dragons : In Erik’s locker, the Dungeon’N Orcettes figures are a parody of the fantasy role‐playing game.
- Magic: The Gathering : Erik also collects cards of Magic the Fappening, a game similar to the real Magic: The Gathering. Four trading cards can be found in Summertime Saga, each one with a colorful name.
- Nintendo : In order to stay in line with the game’s mood, the name of the Japanese console manufacturer has been changed to Sintendo.
- Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat : Street Kombat is a mix between both games. We readily recognize the names of playable fighters: Balrog and Honda.
- Summertime Saga : On the main character’s or Jenny’s computer, the video game Summertime Saga can be played. However, it crashes, reproducing a frequent feature of the real game every time a new version is released. This was especially true when DarkCookie was doing the coding only by himself in the first releases.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim : “I took an arrow in the knee”, delivered by Erik, is a memorable quote from this role‐playing video game.
- The Legend of Zelda : Who else but June could draw an inverted Triforce on her most intimate body part?
- World of Warcraft : Erik, Justin and Karl are avid players of the video game World of Orcette whose name is derived from the massively multiplayer online game World of Warcraft. And the saying “For the Whored!” imitates the scream “For the Horde!” from the same game.
Websites and apps
The names of the software are an excuse to try out some more or less elaborate puns.
- 4chan : When entering the computer room on school 2nd floor, June’s monitor displays the home page of 4chan website.
- eBay : The trading site eGay is pinned on the main character’s computer screen, and references eBay.
- Instagram : Sluttygram is the fictional version of the photo and video‐sharing social networking service.
- Internet Explorer : The web browser developed by Microsoft is renamed Internet Sexplorer.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus : Jenny’s email is well‐protected from malwares thanks to Gaspersight Anti-Virus, similar to the one from Kaspersky Lab.
- Outlook Express : The webmail becomes Outlood Express in Summertime Saga.
Movies, TV series and shows
The development team takes delight in embedding their favorite video programs.
- Attack on Titan : The main character dislikes Attack on Colossus, an opinion shared by DarkCookie for the real series.
- Breaking Bad : When the main character has to meet a drug dealer in Roxxy’s route, he opts for the disguise of Walter White/Heisenberg. This character was a crystal meth maker and the most‐wanted criminal during the 5 seasons of the TV series.
- Captain America : If you liked Captain America, you’ll love Sergeant Somalia, Summertime Saga version of the superhero from Marvel Universe. The film, screened in CineSaga Theater, is indeed dedicated to a sexy Somalian guy who can only be DarkCookie!
- CSI: Miami : The way Harold puts on his Aviator’s sunglasses while delivering a one‐liner, copies a popular meme from the series starring David Caruso.
- Dirty Harry : The movie theater in the mall has a promotional poster for Dirty Harold.
- Friends : While they’re watching it on television together, the main character and Jenny have a little chit‐chat about the series called Pals. The depiction of a group of friends living in Manhattan, and the names of the characters – Matt and Courtney – make the reference to the original Friends series more than obvious. If necessary, the plot of the episode is reminiscent of the one called The One With All The Thanksgivings.
- It : When the main character is introduced to Sugar Tats members, he interrupts an important discussion about the horror movies. Tuuku claims that the clown in It is the most frightening thing.
- It Follows : In the same conversation, Grace recounts the story of a curse transmitted through sex. This is the scenario of the independent film It Follows.
- Pitch Perfect 2 : Another promotional poster announcing the movie Bitch Perfect 2 pastiches the real movie.
- Rick and Morty : The close‐up on the bed in Diane’s bedroom displays the fictional character Pickle Rick in the blurred background.
- The Apprentice : Melonia’s dismissal of her cleaning lady mirrors, without coincidence, the gimmick from The Apprentice.
- The Breakfast Club : The school detention of the main character, Eve and Roxxy, and under Annie’s supervision, reenacts a scene from the movie.
- Titanic : A painting in Rump’s master bedroom shows Melonia posing with only a heart‐shaped jewel as accessory; a pose reminiscent of Kate Winslet’s one in the movie Titanic.
Food and drink
- Goldschläger : The idea for the GoldSchwagger vodka - a much appreciated, but also very expensive drink - originates from Goldschläger; this alcohol does have gold flakes in it.
- Mountain Dew : In Judith’s locker is an obvious reference to the soft drink.
- Tayto Crisps : Also in Dexter’s locker, a bag of Gayto brand chips can be found with a deliberate misspelling.
- The apple in the microwave : DarkCookie once explained that he didn’t like cold apples and used the microwave to warm them up. Since the chat thought how silly this habit was, a lot of jokes were made, and soon an apple in a microwave was added in the teachers’ lounge at school.
The main artist regularly asks the viewers for their opinion during his live videos, whether for the drawing or the name of items or locations. Here is a non‐exhaustive content list.
- CineSaga ticket : The drawing of the ticket for the local movie theater was also the occasion for a raffle in which the winner could choose the text.
- Raven Hill : A raffle was held during a stream to choose a name for the newly added hill overlooking the town. The only name the winner could come up with was Yaya Hill, a name that made everyone laugh for its bland sounding. A new raffle was done. RavenClaw won and pick the name Raven Hill.
- Sign hanging from the tatoo parlor tent : The sign says “Home Run”, according to Zotan123’s choice, a viewer randomly picked.
- The Box of Shame : The box origin dates back to when DarkCookie was doing the treehouse location; raffles were done where winners could add any item of choice for the box. Quite an opportunity! The first winner wanted an old pair of panties, which was at first regarded as a waste by chat and DarkCookie. New raffles were made to find better ideas for the content of the box. However any solid ideas failed to come up so DarkCookie ended up adding the panties and a pair of binoculars suggested by chat. All the names of the winners were crossed over and the box was named The Box of Shame.
- Big Mouth Billy Bass : A singing largemouth bass is the perfect decoration for a car workshop.
- The trap : A poster and a book both titled It’s a trap! can be discovered in‐game. They are an inside joke about the presence in Summertime Saga of a trap character – a male character depicted as a female. This rumor is a recurring subject within the community.
- The 2016 Chicago Cubs Season : Located on the left wall in Erik’s basement hangs a shirt similar to the uniform of the Chicago Cubs. This item is an homage for the baseball team to finally end the so‐called Curse of the Billy Goat, and the longest World Series championship drought in history.
- Kung Fu Fighting : DarkCookie being a lover of this disco single from Carl Douglas, to the point of inflicting it daily on his stream viewers, it was predictable that this martial art would be mentioned in the game, as when Jenny and the main character watch TV.
- Tesla Cybertruck : What could be more obvious than finding Tesla’s new vehicle in Saga Dealership workshop. The artist went so far as to reproduce the broken glass.